Friday, September 26, 2008

What's wrong with the world?

The ALA has posted their list of books most frequently challenged in 2007.

No. 1 on the list?

And Tango Makes Three. The Reasons? Anti-Ethnic, Sexism, Homosexuality, Anti-Family, Religious Viewpoint, Unsuited to Age Group.

For those who are unfamiliar, this is the (based on a true) story of two male penguins who partnered and were really bummed about not having an egg to care for (I believe they kept using a rock in place of an egg, but don't quote me on that). So the zookeepers took an egg that was either abandoned by its parents or something happen to the parents, and the egg was successfully cared for and hatched by these two male penguins.

So, obviously homosexual in nature (gotta turn 'em young!), I'm not sure how sexism works, as I haven't read the story, but maybe a lack of females? Obviously because it's homosexual it has a problem with religion, and those nuts would then think it's unsuited to the age group (because God-forbid children learn a true story about gay penguins).*

But is it anti-family because the family that was created is not "mom, dad, two kids, a dog, a cat and a fish"? It would seem very pro-family and pro-adoption. But I guess anything that doesn't fit into our norm must be against our norm. Silly me. And I can't even fathom how it's "anti-ethnic." It's about penguins...maybe because there is only one species present? Should there be some Polar Bears too?

No. 5 on the list is the ever-popular The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Reasons: Racism. I know that this is a popular one to list, but c'mon. I figured by this day and age everyone had realized that he was anti-racism. People are morons.

The Golden Compass made it onto the list this year, I'm guessing due to the movie, and obviously for "religious viewpoint." Which just means "we don't agree with it." I'm curious who has the time to write in to the ALA because they disagree with what a book says. I think I want to get a group together and we'll start complaining about what the bible says. Do you think I could get it on the list of most-complained about?

The Perks of Being A Wallflower also made the list for homosexuality, sexual explicit, and inappropriate for age. I'm hoping the first isn't completely related to the last, but I'm sure it effects it a little. I'm fairly certain other reasons (which would spoil the ending) are involved.

One last book, It’s Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris. I'm not familiar with this book, but the reasons it was complained about amused me: Sex Education, Sexually Explicit. "Sex education"? That's the best reason ever! "Dear ALA, this book is educational. But about sex! How dare they!" This is what Publishers Weekly said about the book: "this intelligent, amiable and carefully researched book... frankly explains the physical, psychological, emotional and social changes that occur during puberty." Emberley's watercolor and pencil art "reinforces [the] message that bodies come in all sizes, shapes and colors-and that each variation is `perfectly normal.' " Ages 10-14.

That's a horror if I ever saw one.

Anyways, this just makes me want to do more to piss people off. Y'know, I almost want to write a book that makes it onto the list. That's pretty good advertising, isn't it?

*If homosexuality is a psychological condition (according to some nut-jobs, not the APA), then would these penguins need counseling?

No comments:

Post a Comment