Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Not What I Expected

Hello all.

Or just YOU.

You may have noticed I haven't posted much of anything recently, either here or on my reviewing blog. The reason? My computer decided to start the new year with a bang. Thankfully not literally, but it's doing its best.

Last Sunday I started getting an error message and some popups when browsing the web, so I did a virus scan (didn't help) and then a boot up virus scan (which didn't help and may have caused later problems). I downloaded another virus software and did a scan with that too (just to be sure). They all found plenty of viruses, but none deleted the one causing the problem. In addition, one of them (most likely the boot scan) resulted in me deleting a file that probably caused other problems with my system. Or it may be the virus, there is no way of knowing.

So my desktop is currently about as worthless as a brick at the moment, and my netbook is in repairs with my very (awesome) (bestest) computer friend, since it's been long suffering of "I don't feel like working." Which leaves me on my 10-year old laptop who somehow can still connect to the internet and let me edit my novel (which I have to be done editing by end of February *gulp*).

Much of my free time has been spent rebooting my desktop computer, so the amount of reading I've done is minimal, and when I had free time, I was so stressed that I didn't think it was safe to read something new and be pissed at it. I did read one story, which was wonderful and will get a review up, hopefully by the end of the week.

This was not exactly how I planned on spending the beginning of my year, but there is very little to be done about that.

2 comments:

  1. How do you get that many viruses? Do you have virus software that works in the background autoscanning everything that comes in to the machine? For like $30 - I think - McAfee does that, and gives you a little box on the search bar that is either Green (website tested/approved) or Red (website has dangerous components).

    It's money, but given the hassles you keep having, I'd think it would be worth it. Especially given how much time you spend online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually the first time I got a virus, and it may or may not have been caused by DLing software to convert ebooks (I don't think it was, but who knows?) Just this one virus did a shit load of damage and probably let all the other viruses in to play.

    I use Avast, which does scans and runs a continuous check on things coming in. But all it takes is my Avast having not yet updated and me running into the newest virus and BAM.

    My other computer's problems...I don't know what caused them, but most likely not a virus (who has heard of a linex virus?). My friend got it working again (and I haven't heard what he did to do that).

    ReplyDelete