Monday, November 5, 2012

Reading, writing, and worrying

Blankets, books, and brewed tea
all a reader really needs!

Isn't that some lovely poetry? :)

Enjoy it, because it's practically the only writing I've done recently :(

OK, not really, but there hasn't been a ton. Partly because of work, partly because of muses, partly because I'm not really feeling inspired on any of the three pieces I'm working on. One involves sexual abuse and asexuals (which I will eventually finish, but can't get in the right headspace right now), one involves sibling sexual abuse and some weird repercussions, and one is a follow-up story involving the previous character's father. That one I'm actually kind of enjoying, as it's light and will eventually have a very happy ending. 

But not much writing has been actively happening. My two Christmas submissions were both accepted, and the submission I sent in at the end of October has come back as "This needs to be an actual full book." Which makes me cry a little (a lot). I can agree with the editor, and I knew the story had some issues, but just thinking about having to broaden everything makes me groan and curl up in a ball. And while I can objectively say to myself, "Well yes, but she's willing to work with you, which means the writing/idea must be good enough," most of my sensitive writer parts shriveled up. 

We'll see how and where that goes. For now, I'm just trying to balance work, my job, my writing, and my life. And getting sleep. Getting sleep is important.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Heavy topics.

    Congrats on the Christmas submissions. Having never even submitted, I'm imagining its nice just to get recognized by someone saying "keep at it." But that is easy when you aren't the one getting the "do more work" response.

    On another note, I think this is the first year you haven't made a post about NaNo. And from your timeline I assume you aren't doing it?

    On another note, I'm doing some more editing on mine (now renamed "One Bad Thing") and pretty much rewriting the entire voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to get the recognition, but it's also depressing to think about the amount of work that will be heading my way.

      No, Nano this year. I'm expecting too many edits back, and with work and the job, it's just not feasible.

      I'll keep an eye on my email :)

      Delete