Monday, October 20, 2014

GRL Write-up

This past week I headed to Gay Rom Lit, a convention of queer (mainly M/M) readers, writers, and publisher. Because I was going as a publisher and we had a lot of stuff to bring, Rachel Haimowitz and I drove.


It's a looooong drive. Full of blasting rock ballads, talking, and drinking coffee/tea (or chai, since I don't like Starbucks' tea).

We finally got there (it's a 12-13 hour drive), set up our table (just the two of us), and collapsed. I'll be honest, the day is a bit of a blur. I know we bought a deep-dish pizza (because CHICAGO), but it was not impressive. I also got in my bed. It's actually the space where they put the coveted fridge if you are lucky enough to get one (they don't put one in every room). I also fit quite nicely inside.



The show sorta started the next day. It was pretty much only authors and a few early birds, but we were still busy. And I was able to give Amy Lane (who I adore and fanboy over and adore. Did I mention adoring her?) the scarf I made her. And a super sekrit letter.


I look a bit like a crazed maniac in this picture, but I swear, I didn't kill anyone. I just get reaaaally awkward when I get around people that make me excited. Awkward Alex is awkward.

Otherwise I got to meet some great authors, my coworkers, and have dinner at this place with delicious food (...something Monk). If you're ever in Bloomingdale, IL, check it out.

The next two days were busier, as all the readers arrived and attended sessions, bought books, denied themselves buying books (and returned later to buy books), and talked. There's just something about being surrounded by people all with a common interest.

Also Rachel posing with Grumpy Cat.

One of the days, I attended the Cock Walk, which is where artistic people make donations to be raffled off to raise money for a good cause (this year it went to Chicago's Broadway Youth Center). Not counting the money raised from a book that was being given away, the Cock Walk raised $1,200! Here are a few fun pictures.
Of available items:


And the MC (Edmond Manning).

Yes, that's a condom hat.

And the men who drew the tickets. They may look familiar...

And finally, the prize I won...because OF COURSE I bought tickets to donate to a good cause.

It's a bottle opener. And lovely craftsmanship.

After a long two days, my coworkers and I were happy to relax with a cozy dinner in our room (while hanging with the delightful Becky (@fibrobabe). You get really excited about Chinese food when you're super hungry, super tired, and want super comfort.



Sometime later in the week (it starts to get a little fuzzy after a while), we repacked everything and started the drive back.

More Starbucks.

(I sent my friend this picture. She said they look like a couple and that she can "apparently ship anything.")

More road.

And then arriving, unpacking, returning the rental, and then I drive home. No interesting pictures from that, since I was obviously driving....But just for sticking through, here's me happy to be almost home. These are my $5 travel glasses that I wear because I don't care if I lose them/they get more scratched up, and they protect me when my eyes get severely sensitive to the sun. I look ridiculous, but I kind of love it...

And that was my week! I arrived home to unpacking, grocery shopping, and avoiding my work email to instead post here (I'm not sure anyone wants me to be doing work right now anyway. I'd probably have to redo it all the next morning).

To say the least, I'm horribly behind any sort of writing goal. And I'm tired to the point of not wanting to get up to check my phone six feet away. But I think the exhaustion is worth it!







No comments:

Post a Comment