Sunday, September 13, 2015

Rock Stars and Peter Pan

Last time I updated, I was talking about my River Gods story and the struggle I was having with it's potential plot (or lack there of). Well, I put that one on the back burner. I know my one writing group buddy was looking forward to seeing more, but I just kind of...flatlined on ideas. I'm hoping stepping away and returning to it later may help. 

Meanwhile, I read two stories vaguely involving rock stars and though I dislike rock star stories, I enjoyed these (Running with Scissors by L.A. Witt and Rock N Soul by Lauren Sattersby). And while I struggled with my River Gods story, I decided to just do a quick writing exercise prompt using a picture of someone who I thought could easily be a rock star. Something to try to work on develop my writing craft rather than just my storytelling. So I wrote some. And then some more, and then I kind of had a story to go along with it. 

So I'm currently working on a story I'm calling Scruples as the WIP title. I'm obviously trying to work hard on meeting my 5k word count each month, but I'm also trying to develop the writing and voice with this story. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but mostly I've been describing things (although some days are better than others). It's hard to fight slipping into my bad habits. 

And while that's going on, I have a fun idea flirting around of a new adult retelling of Peter Pan in a contemporary setting with an asexual character. That's just sort of me playing around with things though, so we'll see. If someone else writes/publishes a Peter Pan-esque asexual books, I'd love to read it and not have to write it :D

No comments:

Post a Comment