Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Facebook and salads

For any followers who prefer Facebook over Twitter, I now have a Facebook account. Right now it's mostly filled with my Twitter posts, but other content will be forthcoming.

So that was something I started this week. I also started trying to treat my body better.

See, I knew I was gaining a little weight and not eating very healthy. And I got tired riding a lot easier than I used to. After my accident in 2012, I never really got up to my full health again, but after this past winter's severe depression, it got bad.

I tracked my calories the day after a Memorial Day party, and while I realize it was probably more extreme than normal, it was twice the calories I should be consuming. Twice. Wow.

Obviously that's not a daily consumption, but I think it highlights how easily I have been consuming that many calories without batting an eye. And while I don't think calorie counting is the be-all, end-all, I think it's a good way to check in with my body.

So I've begun tracking my calories and trying to make healthier choices. It's only been three days, so I can't say I'm on-target, but I'm not failing either.

And to make this post slightly less boring-health-stuff related, here is a recipe that was given to me, which I brought to a picnic this weekend and it was a hit. It's easy, fairly healthy, and fairly cheap. Enjoy!

Ramen Broccoli Salad (also known as Oriental Broccoli Salad)

2 packages Ramen Noodles (any flavor – I use roast beef)
1 cup canola oil
¼ cup white vineger
1/3 cup sugar
1 or 2 packages (12 oz/pack) broccoli slaw (4 serving pack)
4 oz almonds (sliced)
4 oz sunflower seeds

Cook the noodles in water as directed – reserve flavor packets – I break up the noodles so they are easier to handle in the salad.

While the noodles are cooking, mix the canola oil, vinegar, sugar, and the flavor packets (optional)*.

Drain the noodles and put them into the dressing mix.  Cover and let sit overnight

Shortly before serving, add the almonds, sunflower seeds and the broccoli slaw.  Toss well to coat all ingredients with dressing.

The original recipe called for just 1 package of slaw, but you can use up to two.



* The flavor packets were called for in the recipe I was given but I didn't put them in when I made it this time, because I thought I knew what I was doing so I didn't read the recipe carefuly, and it seemed to work pretty good that way. Plus WAY less sodium. It's a bit sweeter that way, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment