Monday, February 25, 2013

Writing: an update

When I went to the neurologist at the end of January, I was told I shouldn't return to work, so like a good little patient, I didn't. It doesn't mean I haven't bee working on things, although all of that has been slow and laborious.

Writing: Just to keep in the habit and give myself faith that I was still capable, I start writing a little each day, with no real plan of a story. Then I got a plan, at least for the characters and their history. I've written and rewrote them several times and I'm still not satisfied that they have a story to tell. Maybe one day. I'm just not sure, which is frustrating, but bearable. So that is coming in starts and stops. After my daily nap, I started thinking about a different story that I had put on the back burner, and now I sort of want to return to. We'll see.

Edits, round 1: I sent a novel (FIW) off to an author for a beta read, and she got back to me (quickly!). Now I have to grow the pair of balls to read all  her comments. Generally she seemed to enjoy it, so I think I'll be able to handle the comments, but MUST GROW BALLS.

Edits, round 12: I decided to return to a story (BaW) that got shoved off the table due to my accident. The editor wants changes and I'm struggling with them, so I sent this story out to more readers to get feedback (and some people I can brainstorm off/with). These people aren't going to have a 3 day turnaround time like the awesome author above, but hopefully they'll help me figure out what I want to do with it.

Other than that, I'm trying to heal and mend, and rest. Daily naps seemed silly in the beginning, but as I push my brain and eyes to work harder, I let myself take naps to help them rest and hopefully heal.

I go back to the neurologist on March 14. I'm hoping that general time proves happier for me than for Caesar.

No comments:

Post a Comment