Tuesday, May 17, 2016

I could be writing...

I've been in a bit of a funk lately, and, despite what media would have you believe, depression doesn't actually cause you to be creative in artist outlets. So I haven't really been doing too much writing (although I have gotten a few thousand words here and there). When I'm in this mood, I don't usually do much reading either, and I rely on my safe movies and shows. 

And my safest show of all? M*A*S*H. Yep, it came out before I was born, but I love it. And yes, I realize it has flaws (what doesn't?), but for a long while it was the longest-running show, and while others may disagree, it ended just as strongly as it started. But the trick is, it ended DIFFERENTLY than it started. It began as a goofy comedy just in for the laughs, but the humor matured as the series did, and it became more than humor, often taking on serious, heavy topics. 

Of course, some people might not like the changes it went through. They wanted comedy, not deep questioning of morality that strove to build character. But I think the series ended stronger than it started, although I agree it couldn't have continued in such a  manner forever. I think it worked best that it started light and corny and grew into it's own shoes.

Plus it offers a variety of entertainment based on your mood. Want eye-rolling jokes? Go for season one. Want heart-jerking depth? Season eleven. Want tender warmth (and often tears)? Hit up any of the Christmas episodes. The trick is that they changed, over time, from episode to episode sometimes, and used a variety of tricks and tools to keep things fresh (for the most part). Yes, there are times where the hospital chatter gets boring, but the stories that are woven throughout are worth it. 

Just to give you an idea of how much M*A*S*H sits in my heart: I rewatched the entire series over the past few months. It's a fantastic way to turn off my brain, especially when I'm stressed.

And yes, I could have been writing. But relaxing then will hopefully help me be rejuvenated for the future!

Also: Go watch M*A*S*H (I prefer the series after season 3, when they introduce Colonel Potter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment